In response to God's grace, University Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge seeks creatively—through nurture, education, worship and community outreach—to sustain an inclusive, compassionate family of faith; it seeks to promote spiritual growth by awakening souls to God's infinite mercy embodied in the reconciling love of Christ
-Approved by Session December 1995
What We Believe
While there is a certain amount of diversity of belief at UPC, we are happily part of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The Reformed tradition we hold dear emphasizes:
- Scripture, particularly as it gives witness to the good news of Jesus Christ (We interpret the bible using the gifts of biblical scholarship, experience, and the leadership of the Holy Spirit rather than claiming to do so “literally”
- God’s grace (although we are all created in God’s image and deeply loved, none are
perfect and all are in need of God’s grace)
- Lives of faith, in response to God’s grace, come from gratitude not guilt .
- All people are created in God’s image and are worthy of full acceptance and full participation in the church, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, gender identity, nationality, ability, or any other divisive categories.
- God’s sovereignty over all of life and our responsibility as people of faith to share God’s desire for justice, peace, and love in all that we do.Shared, representative leadership in the church.
- Hope for our lives and for the world through the grace and power of God.